On this page we've put together a listing of some of our favorite free resources, mostly related to Java web development.
Java Web Application Development
- Sun's Java Development Kit (JDK) - required for Java development
- Eclipse Web Tools Platform (WTP) - AMAZING free IDE for Java web development
- Apache Tomcat - Java servlet container
- Apache Maven - project management (build/documentation/etc) on steroids
- MySQL - great, free database
- Toad for MySQL - free database administration/development tool
- Apache Web Server - the world's most popular web server
- CVSNT - free version control software for Windows
- Jad Java Decompiler - try it with Eclipse JadClipse Plug-in (see below)
- TcpTrace - watch client/server communication
Firefox Web Development Tools
- Please see our Top Firefox Web Development Tools section.
Other Useful Tools
- Gadwin PrintScreen - excellent screen capture tool
- Xenu's Link Sleuth - great, free link checker
- PuTTY - Telnet/SSH client
- Pageant/PuTTYgen - Automated SSH Authentication - Tutorial
- FileZilla - nice free FTP client/server
- RealVNC - control your computers remotely
- Winamp - listen to some tunes while you hack
- IrfanView - nice image viewer
- Trillian - free, secure multi-protocol chat client
- IZArc - great, free compression/decompression application (zip, rar, etc.)
- OpenOffice - awesome free alternative to Microsoft Office
- The Eclipse Web Tools Platform (WTP) comes with an amazing set of plug-ins. Try it!
- Easy Explore - lets you right-click to open a Windows Explorer window. Simple but useful!
- JadClipse - decompile Java classes in Eclipse